AC SHUT OFF

1994 Honda Accord

Air Conditioning problem
1994 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

so yesterday morning, my windshield fogged up. So I turned on the ac and the defroster. The rpm went to low and the car shut off. The vibration is too much when I turn on the ac. And for like 2 min the car didnt want to turn on. It cranked but nothing. The distributer has been changed, the ignition coil is new. So it cant be that. It has to do something with the AC. The belt is tight too. I checked it. The AC system was serviced earlier in the year. I turned it on once for the defroster and smoke came out of the front end. It ended up being the compressor. So the compressor had been changed. But since then the car reacted the way it is now. When I turn it on. People had told me that is normal and stuff. But I dont believe it. I know something is wrong in there. And i'd like to get it fixed before winter. Get more fog ups in the windshield at that time of year.
Luisperez85

Hi Luisperez85,

Idling speed dropping when the compressor cuts in indicates a fault with the idle control system. The idling speed should not drop when the compressor cuts in as the IAC would compensate and increase the idle for the extra load.

Clean the throttle body and IAC and readjust the idling speed and retest.

Would this also happen while the car is accerlerating? Cuz it turned off on me as I accerlerated. Someone told me that it also could be the pressure inside the compressor that may be causing that. Im not sure how true is that

Luisperez85
If engine cuts off while accelerating then it is not the idling system that is at fault and neither should it be the compressor.
If it is a fault with the compressor, the engine would cut off when the compressor clutch engages. Excessive freon in system would normally cause the compressor to cycle on and off intermittently and you can confirm if it is the cause with a low and high pressure reading.

Is the Check Engine Lamp indicating?
Does problem occur if the A/C is not used?
Any performance issues and erratic idling when A/C is not turned on?
Do you have any difficult starting issues?

There is no check engine light on. And the car runs normal when the A/C is off. It only has that rough idling when I turn on the A/C. Even when I accelerate and turn on the A/C while accelerating I feel a loss in performance. The car runs slower and struggles to accelerate.

Luisperez85
Check the ignition timing. If it is retarded, you would have performance losses. The idling speed dropping indicates the IAC is not functioning correctly.

Get the IAC and throttle body cleaned first and retest.

Was any repairs done prior to this occurring?