TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT

1993 Honda Accord

Engine problem
1993 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 187789 miles

I have a 1993 Honda Accord with 187,789 miles. I bought the car two months ago with 185,087 miles. I have tried to get information from the previous owner through the dealer about when the timing belt was last replaced, but I have gotten no answer. There is no info in the car as to the previous keepers.

How much is a timing belt replacement for a '93 Accord? Is there any visual check I can do to determine the condition of the belt?
TransWorldHonda

If the timing belt has been replaced there is usually a sticker placed on the top of the timing cover with the date and the milage that it was changed at.
(although this is not always the case.)

It is possible to see the timing belt by removing the upper timing belt cover, but even to the professional
it is difficult to determine it's age by looking at it.
(unless it is really bad)
It takes approx. 3 hrs labor plus the cost of the belt approx. $50.00 a small price to pay compared to what it could cost to repair your engine if the belt breaks. (Bent valves, broken pistons, etc.)
If your not sure, change it, you'll be glad you did.
P.S. They will likely recommend that you change your waterpump and camshaft seals at the same time.
(both good ideas)
Hope this helps!

Rowtiear
Thanks. I will go out and see if I can spot a date or anything like that.

Tommorow I will go out to a few places and get some quotes on a replacement. Thanks for your advice!

TransWorldHonda