CAR OVERHEATING WHEN I STOP.

1993 Honda Accord

Engine Cooling problem
1993 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 225000 miles

My car has started overheating while I am sitting at a stop light. I have also smelled something burning under my hood. What could be the problem.
Sheshebristol

I think the two are related. With the engine overheating that can get things warm enough to smell what you might be noticing. If not, I would start with the heating issue first.

The overheating while stopped can be a circulation issue. For instance, bad radiator cap can cause the pressure of the system to fail. The system needs to have a pressure to work correctly. There are other causes for the leak such as a bad radiator that does not necessarily leak coolant.

Does the cooling fan kick on at all?

Does it run on the warm side even when the car is running down the road?

How hot has the car gotten? For instance, has it redlined on the guage?

A leak down test might be helpful if you run out of things to look at. It can tell you the condition of the engine and point to issues related to a possible head or head gasket issue.

Bruce Hunt
The fan comes on after a while when I turn the car off. If I am driving the car's temp is normal. No it has not relined on the gauge but it is noticable.
Thanks,
Sheshebristol

Sheshebristol
I would get the system pressure tested.

Bruce Hunt