CAR OVERHEATING

1993 Honda Accord

Engine Cooling problem
1993 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 136000 miles

I'm trying to determine why my car is overheating. One of the fans comes on after I turn my car off but it doesn't appear that the other fan is coming on at all. How can I determine if it is the fan itself, a switch, or wires connecting to the fan?
Tattoocath

Hi tattoocath,

When the engine is turned off, only the radiator fan would turn on if the engine temp is high. It is not the cause of overheating but the results of it.

Both fans should be working when AC is turned during engine running and when fan switch clicks when temp is attained.

Check if there is enough coolant in radiator.

There is enough coolant in the radiator and in the overflow container. You mentioned that the one fan (radiator) would come on when the car is off if the engine was overheated. It seems to me that the other fan isn't running at all during engine operation. How do I tell what is wrong with the fan or what else could it be? The thermastat and relay switches both appear to be working. Thank you!

Tattoocath
Hi tattoocath,

If one fan is not working, then you should test it to see if it is faulty or is a electrical problem.

It would cause inefficient cooling resulting in the other fan working overtime.

Is the temp gauge showing a normal reading?