OIL LIGHT & NOW TEMPRATURE GAUGE RISI

1991 Honda Accord

Engine Cooling problem
1991 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 220, 00 miles

Briefly, about 6 weeks ago the oil light came on. I'd just had the oil changed, returned to oil change place, they said oil was fine to see mechanic. Went to mechanic who replaced an oil pump sensor. Light went off, after 3 weeks, light came back on. Returned to mechanic who added mystery motor oil. Light went off. Today, I was driving & the oil light came on when I was coming to a stop & went off when I accelerated. I noticed the temprature rising, it went to high & I stopped right away. I checked the oil & it was low. I added 2 quarts, waited for car to cool & started it. The light didn't come on & the temp. Went to regular range at 1/2. Drove 1 mile home & when I was parking the temp. Began to rise once again, no oil light on though. I'm a single female that has to get to work! Is there a checne it's my thermostat? I'm going out now to check the antifreeze to insure it's at the proper level. Help, Help, Help!
Hunzy62

Here are a couple possibilities.

Thermostat

Water Pump

Radiator

Cooling Fan/s

One other possibility is a Blown Head Gasket. If the coolant looks like milk chocolate then most likely its a Head Gasket.

.

Obxautomedic
I checked the radiator level & can't see the antifreeze. I'm going to get some to add & hopefully that will solve the problem. Any feedback?

Hunzy62
Look close at the coolant while filling to see if there is still any oil in it. Also what does the coolant in the overflow tank look like.

.

Obxautomedic
Hey OBX,

I've had a very similar problem to this lady. Oil pressure switch was thought to be bad, so we replaced that and the wiring harness, etc. Now, just like this lady, the oil pressure light comes on at low rpm once the car get warm. Had the tire and auto guy check it and the oil pressure is 75 psi at cold start, but only 5-10 when warm and idle. Car only has 130k miles; I would really hate to lose it over this. I have not had the temperature issue like this lady, but the rest is the same. Any thoughts for a fellow tarheel?

Thanks.

Sop_honda

What wieght oil are you using?

When was last oil change?

If using a 5w30 or 10w30 you may want to try a 10w40 and see what happens. You may not have noticed but your vehicle maybe running a little hotter than use to, pobably only about 5 - 10 degree which could break down the vescosity of the oil quicker.

.

Obxautomedic