ALTERNATOR GETTING HOT AND MELTING THE BEL

1991 Honda Accord

1991 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 201544 miles

My alternator has recently been replaced and now it gets so hot that the belt melts and then breaks. I had them replace the alternator again and it is still doing the same thing. What could this be?
Benwaballz

That doesn't have an idler pulley on it, I believe. The belt is tightened at the alternator. Check that the alternator is free wheeling (bearings not seizing), check the alignment of the alternator and the belt, and make sure it is tight enought to be slipping.

Bruce Hunt
Alternator is free spinning, belt is aligned and tension is good(not too tight and not too loose) could a bad ground cause the alternator to heat up to the point of melting my belt? I am extremely boggled by this. Thank you so much for your input. : Roll:

Benwaballz
Alternator is free spinning, belt is aligned and tension is good(not too tight and not too loose) could a bad ground cause the alternator to heat up to the point of melting my belt? I am extremely boggled by this. Thank you so much for your input. : Roll: [/quote]

Benwaballz
The crank pulley(balancer) is made up of the inner portion and the outer ring which drives the alternator belt. The outer ring has seperated and was spinning metal on metal causing the belt to heat up and melt.
Hopefully this will help someone else with this problem.

Benwaballz