OVER HEATING

1990 Honda Accord

Engine Cooling problem
1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 155762 miles

vehicle originally started overheating in march shortly after having radiator flushed when I noticed the automatic cooling fan wasn't kicking on while engine was running or turned off. While driving the temperture gauge never pegged (but close) because I turned the heater on full blast to cool engine. The first mechanic told me I needed to flush my radiator because the anti freeze he drained was black. I told him it was done a month prior by jiffy lube. I replaced the thermastat, had all sensors tested, pressure check, drained and replaced radiator, both fan motors and their sensors checked and the fan still would not kick on and still over heated. After 3 different mechanics the overheating suddenly stopped and the fan began to work towards end of june. No one could figure out what was going on. Vehicle started over heating again two days ago (10/17). Blasting the heater only kept it from pegging and the fans are working. I thought it might be the heater core. It smells like something is burning or hot while driving and after I turn the vehicle off but there is no coolant leaking into the interior of vehicle and windshield is not fogging up. None of the fluids are leaking and are full. I'm a working single mom also going to school on a tight budget who can't afford mechanics to have nothing accomplished. Please help.

10/20/08 update
Thank you for replying. I have already done the items you suggested the first time my Honda started overheating back in March. I also at this time have no oil in my exhaust and have full power of my vehicle. Last night my son was sitting in front on the passenger side and said the smell was making him sick.
Colleene

Try bleeding the cooling system for a starter-don't work- get it block and pressure tested to find out why its overheating. Water pump okay-could be a bad new thermostat