IS MY PROBLEM IGNITION TIMING OR BAD CYLI

1990 Honda Accord

1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

okay this is how it started. I have a 90 accord and My car wont start. So My car sat out for 8 months with no starting of the engine. I though it might been the distributor took it off exam and reinstalled. But it was only the starter. I replace the starter and my car starts normal. Then I notice that my car lost alot of power, seems like only 2-3 cylinder working. OR igntion was off. (Not sure) Also smell like boiled eggs when car is accelerated. This never happend. Rotton egg smell and lost of power. My point is while I took the distributor rotor off did I screw up the timing? If so how do I set the ignition timing back to normal? Help!

kong.
Ringeeleng

Hi kong,

You need a timing light to set the ignition timng.

Did you check the spark plugs and cables? The rotten smell is from the catalytic converter, due to unburnt fuel passing through. Continued use would
damage the catalytic converter if it is not already bad.

What is a timing light?
I replace the spark plugs and wire and it still lose power whenever accerate. The engine starts fine until accerate.

How do I time it back to normal?

kong.

Ringeeleng
Hi kong,

A timing light is a tool you attach to the 1st or 4th plug wire to check the ignition timing when engine ie running.

You removed the distributor so the ignition timing has been disturbed. Try to tighten the bolts as close to the original position as possible. If you turn the distributor clockwise, you will retard the timing, lesser power. To advance the timing, turn it anticlockwise.