CAR SHAKES WHEN STARTING OFF IN FIRST GEA

1990 Honda Accord

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Manual 220000 miles

Car shakes/vibrates when starting off in first gear and also when accelerating around 2000 rpm regardless of gear. Already installed new cv joints/half shafts and changed the spark plugs. A mechanic said the motor mounts are good. The problem is a lot less noticeable during hard acceleration. Any ideas?
Epg2008

Hi epg2008,

Your symptoms are similar to what a malfunctioning EGR system creates.

Check the EGR valve and its passage under it from the exhaust to see if it is clogged.

Thanks for the response KHLow2008. I checked the egr valve and the exhaust port. Both were fouled but not blocked. Cleaned them both but the shaking and vibration still exists. It would be nice to have an error code to assist in the troubleshooting but there are none. I am stumped. The car idles fine, runs good at 60 mph but is terrible starting off and accelerating.

Epg2008
Hi epg2008,

Check the condition of the spark plugs again and try switching them around among the cylinders.

Check the EGR control solenoid for abnormal operations.

Sometimes the problem requires the EGR to be replaced. Before doing that, give the vehicle a good runaround.