HOLDEN COMMODORE ENGINE PROBLEM

1989 Holden Commodore

1989 Holden Commodore Automatic

G'day I seem to have a problem with my vn commodore. When you start it, it seems fine and starts straight away. But then when it warms up you can smell petrol and it runs real rough and is breaking down, sounds like it is running out of petrol but its not. It gets worse when you try and put your foot down, its breaks up a lot more. I put new spark plugs in it. It went fine for a couple of weeks and now it is doing the same thing again. Can any one plz help me with this problem.
Vnpower

Hi there,

Check that there is not a leak at the fuel line under the throttle body, there is a small length of fuel hose there, you often see then leaking, replace the leads if they are looking as if they are going Grey, as they will be cross firing,

start here.

Mhpautos
I have just had a look and there does not seem to be any petrol leaking that I can see. But I also just noticed there is tapping coming for the fuel injection as well. You can hear on top where it says 3800 real bad. Do you think I am going to be up for big money to get it fixed.

Vnpower
Hi there,

These injectors are quite noisy, are you sure its not a lifter tapping, have a listen around the rocker cover with a screw driver as a stereoscope, you will pick up a noisy valve or rocker this way.

Mhpautos
I have found a brocken lead. I have put a new one on and its not breaking down now. But I just noticed there is water coming out of the tail pipe. Is that much to worry

Vnpower
Water is normal to see when the engine & exhaust is cold, your engine produces about 1 liter of water per liter of fuel burned, but when the system is hot you don't see it as it is super heated steam and not visible.

Mhpautos
Thanxs for your help I will see how my car goes now. If it seems to play up again I will put it in to get fixed. Thanxs for help a girl out.

Vnpower