BRAKE PEDAL SENSOR?

2000 GMC Yukon

2000 GMC Yukon V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Due to higher gas prices I have not been driving the Denali as often as I used to. A problem that started to come up the last few weeks I drove it daily was not being able to shift out of park to any gear. I had to pump the brake and try to shift at the same time. I put this on the back burner since I stopped driving it. Well the Chicago winter is here and I was thinking about using it when the roads are bad. The other night I noticed that when pressing the brake pedal, the rear tail lights would not be on. I also noticed that when the tail lights are off that I was unable to shift out of park as well, all of this while pressing the brakes. I am assuming that there is a sensor that sends a signal to the trans to shift and for the lights to turn on. What sensor would this be and how easy/hard is it to fix?

Jameskato

You need to replace the brake light switch that is on a braket just under the dash at the brake pedal arm. Does this make sense? If not let me know ok. Thanks

Racefan966
I called up napa to hold the switch for me. They asked if I also needed the connector as well. I am most likely going to replace both, just to make sure. Would you know which one has a tendency to go out more? Or is there a way to find out which of those I really need?

Jameskato
It is usually the switch I have never had to replace the connector. Here is a pic of it incase your not sure what it is.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_101190_2.jpg

Racefan966
I picked up the switch yesterday and installed it in about 5 mins. Fixed the problem right away.

Thanks for the help!

Jameskato
That is great thanks for letting me know that it all worked out. Thanks for your support.

Racefan966