LOUD POPPING SOUND/PUFF OF SMOKE

1999 GMC Yukon

Noises problem
1999 GMC Yukon V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 88000 miles

Recenly, when I start my Yukon, there's a loud popping sound, followed by a puff of smoke (smells like the smoke from a match after it's put out). The smoke looks like it's coming out from directly in front of the driver's side, toward the the back of the motor, or closest to the windshield. There's a fuse box with a lid that's loose, but nothing else looks as though it's been burned and there's no smell once you lift the hood. It only happens about every five to seven days. Thank you.
Vpyne24

Have you checked for an exhaust near CAT?

Docfixit
No, I don't even know what that is, sorry. My husband did take the Yukon into a repair center, and they have no clue what it could be. They started the engine at least 50 times, with no results. They checked the general are where the sound/smoke comes from, and found no burn marks, melting or damage of any kind. The only thing they found was a loose fuse box lid, but everything inside was intact. They do believe it could be an exhaust build-up issue, and said that would be a matter for a dealer's repair shop to handle. Thanks for your response. Vicki

Vpyne24
Try running some Seafoam through engine will clean out carbon

Docfixit
OK, we'll try the Seafoam tomorrow, and hopefully it will resolve the problem. Thanks again for your help!

Vpyne24