BLOWN 4WD FUSE

1995 GMC Yukon

1995 GMC Yukon V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 102000 miles

System was working fine, then I attempted to engage the 4WD and nothing happened. I checked and found that the fuse for the 4WD was blown. I replaced it and tried again to engage the system. As soon as the lever was pulled, I could hear the fuse blow. We had recently had a large snowfall, with 2-3 foot drifts crossing some roads. I busted through several of these deep drifts, so I thought that I might have knocked a wire, or damaged a plug. There was no visible damage to any wiring, or the plugs. There is obviously something causing a short, but it seems odd that it would work, then within a matter of hours simply stop. Switch, relay? I really don't want to just throw parts at it, anyone ever deal with this before?
Oldyuke95

Hi: Unplug the wiring to the 4wd actuator on the transfer case and see if the fuse blows when you turn the switch. If it doesn't, I feel the actuator itself may be the problem.

Let me know what you find.

Disconnected actuator and tested, fuse did not blow. Replaced part and all works fine now.

Thanks!

Oldyuke95
Hi: That is good news. The reason I had you disconnect the actuator it to determine if there was a short before the power got there. I'm glad it's fixed.