STARTING ISSUE

1994 GMC Truck

1994 GMC Truck 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 167000 miles

Over the past 6 months my GMC has failed to crank after driving approx. 20 plus miles on warm days, I get to my destination and once the engine is off it will not restart for 45 min to 1 hour. Then it just starts back up like there was no problem. Seems like it has to cool down, as this does not happen on short trips only longer hauls, sometimes I have a load of hay in the back.

Lights are on in the dashboard, but it won; t crank at all. It has a new battery in the past 8 months. Just nothing. It has only happened 4 times. But it is annoying as I have to sit and wait. Any idea what it might be?

thanks

Juls
Julsgood

You may be having starter problems due to the fact that the starter maybe getting hot, due to the fact that someone left off the heat shield, or your battery cable has been replaced and it is too small in diameter, next time the truck stops by pouring some water on the starter until you can touch it with your hands and then try starting it again.

Dr Loot