HEATER INLET?

1999 GMC Sierra

Heater problem
1999 GMC Sierra V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

My son (mistake #1) was driving my truck and the plastic fitting for the heater inlet on the driver's side broke off flush with the end of the heater hose. After trouble shooting it, it appears the plastic essentially dry rotted. Can you tell me what that plastic part is called and where I might find an IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown) so I can look up the part number and how it goes together so I can figure out how to fix it?

At the present, I plugged one of the T-fittings from a radiator flush kit between the two hoses thus jumpering the heater core out of the circuit. Will this cause a problem? (I.E, is the heater core used as a part of the coolant system on this vehicle?)

Thanks for your help!

J.
BurrowJ101

If the part where the hose plugs on broke off flush, then it is probably the heater core that needs to be replaced. Those hoses plug straight onto the heater core. You should be ok without it if you want to wait on the repair, as long as it doesnt leak, you should be ok

Jack42
So the heater core is plastic? The part that broke was a white-ish plastic.

BurrowJ101
Yes, the early ones were aluminum core with plastic tanks. If there isnt anything left to put the hose onto, the core will need to be replaced. The new one should be all metal

Jack42