INTERMITTANT HARD SHIFT BTWN 1-2, 1870 CODE

1997 GMC Sierra

1997 GMC Sierra V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles
I Have 5.7L with a 4l60e trans. It has a intermittant hard shift btwn 1-2 and a 1870 code comes up.

If this is an internal problem in the transmission, what is it and is it worth fixing? Is rebuilding better than replacement with a used one? And is this the only year that will replace my transmission? I see many low milage transmissons from later year vehicles, but not sure if they will fit.
Thanks,
Jim
1js

The rebuild vs recycled trans is up to you and what the cost is. Junk yards usually guarntee their trans to work. The only problem is the electrical connection that they take. They have to be the same otherwise you can run into problems trying to get your trans to work right. When it is rebuilt, every seal and clutch plate are replaced along with the torque converter. And parts that are found bad like planetary gear sets arealso replced usually with new but not always. Also if you get a trans form a junkyard and it doesn't work, then you have to pull it out and get another one. It's just if you decide to do the work yourself of replacing the trans or not.