BACKING OFF ADJUSTER TO ALLOW DRUM REMOVAL.

2001 GMC Safari

Brakes problem
2001 GMC Safari 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115678 miles

These rear brakes have never been replaced and as I just rep; aced the front pads I decided to replace the rear as well. The knockouts were still in the backing plates. After knocking them out, I started turning the adjuster, but apparently moving the shoes out onto the drums and went to far, for when I tried to reverse the direction I couldn't get the adjuster to turn in the opposite direction. The tangs on the adjusters are so small it is hard to get the brake spoon to stay behind it with enough pressure to rotate it. Can I use a blunt tool and tap on the bottom most tang and see if I can get it to move that way or do you have a different method to try?
Carl Garnto

The reason you cant get it to hold on is there is a tab in there that has to be pushed, it prevents the star wheel from loosening only allowing it to tighten because they are automatic adjusted.

Simply push on the tab and then move the starwheel.

To get a hang of this, take off the other side. I would suggest taking off the wheel bearing and assembly that is the way I find to be the easiest as the drums are hard to get off.

If all else fails and you cannot loosen the one, take off the wheel bearing nut and pull off the drum.

Blackop555
Hey, before you try and email jack trying to get me in trouble read what I typed first, never once did I mention to tear apart the front wheel bearings, nor did I even mention anything to do with the front wheel.

Blackop555