WON'T START

1992 GMC Safari

1992 GMC Safari 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 133333 miles

replaced fuel filter and pump 2 months ago. Started engine and started fine then started to sputter. When I pumped it it tried to rev but sputtered out then gradually got worse. Now it will not start. Checked fuel floe to filter. Pump is pumping. When I removed fuel filter no fuel ran back down from engine and out of line, so problem must be after the fuel filter? Removed fuel filter and blew it out. Replaced it and still won't start. What do I do now? Would starting fluid help to get it primed and sucking fuel? Are there fuel injectors on the is year 1992?
Moelalon

It sounds like you got a bad pump. What brand of pumps are you getting? Have you check fuel pressure? It should be 15 psi. Let me know what you find.

Racefan966
This is not a pro facility. Just me at home. How am I supposed to check the pressure of the pump?

Moelalon
Ok I understand that do you have access to a fuel pressure tester that will reach 15 psi? If not check with the local parts stores and see if one of them rent one. Now once you have it, it should have adapters one should be able to screw into the front of the fuel filter then hook up and turn the key on note pressure then crank it and note pressure if it won't get up to 15 psi then replace the fuel pump. Now if you can get a pressure tester then get a funnel put it in the fuel filler and have some one turn on the key and keep you ear near the funnel do you hear the pump hum?

Racefan966
I guess I didn't mention that the fuel pump does come on. It fills the line with gas. I don't think it is the fuel pump. It is new 2 months ago and the filter as well. What could be plugged after the filter.

The fuel pump has a strainer, I know that so it probably is not sediment in the tank.

The fuel pump has a marking on one end that says " out" ' but that end was pointed toward the tank. I would think that would be wrong. But maybe out marker should be pointed toward carburator. Maybe it doesn't matter. Does it matter? Maybe the fuel pump is bad.

What do you think?

Moelalon
The fuel pump is in the tank so you would not be able to see it. The fuel filter is not you may be looking at the fuel filter so it has the arrow pointed to the tank then remove it and turn it around as that is backwards. Then see if it starts and we will go from there.

Racefan966