TILT STEERING COLUMN LOOSE

1991 GMC Safari

Steering problem
1991 GMC Safari 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 205000 miles

The steering column on my 91 safari van is loose, I can move the column around about 5 to 6 inches in all directions, it is a tilt wheel which appears to work ok. Someone told me it is easier to replace the column than to repair the column. Can I replace the column without to much trouble and if so do you have a procedure that I can download.
It does NOT have air bags.
Thanks.
Fredo649

Hi, not easier to replace coloumn and vertainly not cheaper. You need a steering wheel lock plate tool. Avail at any auto store rental or loaner program. Remove the steering wheel. Remove the sig stat 3 phillips screws don, t totally remove it pull it up out of the way it has enough room. Now you will see a metal round plate that looks like a fan. Attach your lock plate tool to the steering shaft. Depress lock plate. You will see a round lock spring. Use an all or screwdriver remove spring. Release lock plate tool. Remove lock plate. Now you will see three torx screws tighten these screws. Put it all back together. Billymac

Billymac