FUEL PUMP?

1991 GMC S15

1991 GMC S15 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

My 91 Jimmy died on me at a 4 way stop. My engine will not turn over. We have already checked the battery and alternator. Is it the fuel pump or could it be less serious?
PeterK15

Do you have a check engine light On or flashing prior to this problem?

If the engine's condition is in tip top shape-do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem that's if its cranking over and refuses to start

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors-

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time