JIMMY REPLACE OR REBUILD TRANSMIS

1991 GMC S15

1991 GMC S15 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 201000 miles

My Jimmy lost reverse but still had 1st & ran good with forward gears for about two months. Then while driving on highway, I could smell something getting hot & began to lose power down to 30mph. Pulled over & could hear what sounded like a broken belt slapping & making a clicking noise as it went around from the transmission area--the noise sounded more like something metal not rubber was going around & slapping. I put it back in drive & the truck would not pull itself. I think I broke a band--but not sure. Also, could I replace my 4wd tranny with a 2wd tranny?
Sudden45

2wd and 4wd trans are pretty much the same but not interchangable due to shorter output shafts on the 4wd. If you don't want to rebuild it, (check on a priceand make sure to tell them it's 4wd) then get one out of a junk yard as they usually guarntee their transmissions to work and alot of times are cheaper. You can also get some form your GM dealers. But you have to install them. You don't need to change your t-case, just reinstall it, it just bolts to the trans.