PONTIAC BONNEVILLE STALLING

GMC Other

I have a 97 Pontiac Bonneville SSE. When I start the car in the morning and drive to school everything is normal but as I get onto the highway in rush hour and have to slow down the car stalls, but I put it in neutral and can usually start it back up and not have a problem throughout the rest of the trip to school. Then in the evenning when I start the car to go back home, I get on the highway ( w/ no rush hour) everything is fine up untill I get off the highway and have to either slow down or at full stop the car stalls but I can start it back up agian as before. It only happens during these times. I dont know if this is important but a couple of times when im driving at a slow speed the car seems like it has a spurt of gas injecting and the car speeds a little. I dont know if this is a coincidence but 2 weeks ago I had the alternator and belt replaced and then 2 days later experienced these problems. I cant afford much on loans, Otherwise I love the car, but what do you think is the problem? I searched online for same types of problems and from what ive researched it might be the " crank sensor" or fuel pump. Is this a dangerous problem? : ( Expensive problem? Please help! Thank you
MyBonnie

I would look more towards the Torque Convertor Clutch Solenoid failing. The TCC solenoid engages after reaching speeds in excess of 45 miles an hour locking the torque convertor in place to conserve fuel. When coming to a stop the clutch does not disengage leaving your convertor locked and thus stalling out the vehicle. A simple test would be taking the vehicle to about 50MPH and then slowing down (do this in a safe area) and see if the vehicle stalls. Let me know!

Mvannessjr