MODELS FUEL PUMP FOR SUBURBAN

1999 GMC Other

1999 Other GMC Models Engine Size unknown Four Wheel Drive Automatic 152200 miles

We are trying to replace the fuel pump, and have a carter pump. Carter wants the wiring re-done. Says that the GMC plug is prone to problems. We are having trouble with finding a specific wire diagram to match between the truck and the new pump/plug. Any hints or should we look for a different brand/type of pump that will just plug in without rewiring?
Nazkemp

NO NO NO NO!
Do not replace the fuel pump without replacing the chassy harness connector. This is the connector that plugs into your fuel pump. There are only 4 wires to splice and if you don't replace this connector you will have problems.
I am not sure if regular auto supply stores like Autozone have these connectors yet, but I do know that a dealers parts department stock these items because of the many failures of these connectors.

This is not a rewiring problem, it is a problem with the pins in the harness connector itself. When you unplug these connectors the pin receptical on the harness connector opens up. This will cause the connection to arc and eventualy fail or worse cause a fire. To change it you just cut one wire at a time and splice it in as you go.

BTW--why are you changing the fuel pump?

Pear69