MODELS HEADLIGHTS WILL NOT TURN ON

1993 GMC Other

1993 Other GMC Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 44,000 miles

Headlights on my 1993 GMC Motor home does not work. All other lights work just fine. The rig sat for 5 or 6 months. When I took it out, All lights worked just fine (I did forget to turn them off after checking, they were on for several hours, while traveling later that day I realized that I had no headlights. In order to continue, I had to hold the turn signal lever in the up position to get the headlights to come on highbeam (all four lights were on) when the lever was released, all light were off. Now, I can not get the light to come on at all. Could this problem be caused by failure of the high/low beam switch on the steering colunm. How do I check this switch with out taking the steering wheel off>
Jude1234

The outside bulbs have a double filiment. Remove one of the outside bulbs and check to see if you are getting voltage with the headlight switch on. You may have burnt out the low beam lights, If you do not have voltage comming to the lights then check the headlight fuses the hig beams and low beams will be on diferent circuits.

M_H_RITZEL