MODELS STARTER PROBLEM

1992 GMC Other

1992 Other GMC Models Four Wheel Drive Automatic 200k miles

What may be the reason I have had to replace the starter on my 1992 S10 Blazer 5 times in 6 months? We've tried switching brands, Bosch first now AC Delco. We've rewired etc but the problem keeps occuring. It starts fine & then without warning you turn the key, and nothing.
Poober11

Each time your vehicle youve taken it in and the starter has been tested as bad? Then the new one is put in and it fires right up?

Blackop555
Yes, each starter that has been taken out has had a stuck solenoid, but the starter motor is good. Once a new one is put in it starts fine.

Poober11
If the starter motor is too old it can cause the solenoid to fail by drawing too much curent welding its contacs inside.

Make sure the solenoids connections are all clean and tight, same for on teh battery and on the starter.

Is the solenoid mounted tightly? If not it may not be making a good ground connnection.

Another thing is try to have the battery fully charged, maybe evena new one when you use it for about the first week, makes it work less.

Blackop555