TURN SIGNAL FLASHER LOCATION

1997 GMC Jimmy

1997 GMC Jimmy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

After reading some of the forums it appears that I need to replace the tun signal flasher on my 97 GMC Jimmy. The lights work when the hazard is engaged but not when turning either left or right. My problem is in finding where the flasher is hidden. I looked under the dash on the left side and can't seem to find it. I see what looks like the power distribution center with wires going in and out of it but it doesn't look like the new flasher would fit in there even if I could figure out how to remove it.
Sjj62

I have the EXACT same problem. I can hear my hazard flasher clicking and it sounds like it's near or under the radio, but no matter how loud it is I absolutely CAN NOT find the darn thing either and since the turn signal flasher isn't working at all, no sound, I have no clue where it's at either.

I sure hope someone can tell us where to locate and replace it. I detest not being able to signal for lane changes or letting folks know I'm about to make a turn. I want to get this FIXED as soon as I can!

I spent over 3 hours trying to feel around underneath the dash for these things (I was going to try and swap the working hazard flasher for the non working turn signal flasher for the time being), but I can't find either one of the darn things! And I can't seem to locate any "FREE" info on line either as to where the dang things are mounted.

I just do not understand why these things are hidden and so hard to get to, it's not like you should need a mechanic to replace a simple PLUG IN DEVICE. I remember when the hazard flasher was mounted *(plugged in) to the fuse block and the turn signal flasher was plugged into a socket on wires coming from the fuse block. Why vehicle manufacturers changed this SIMPLE TO REACH and REPAIR procedure is beyond me!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/134010_1997JIMMYGMC_TRUCK06_2.jpg

Clay51
I have a 98 jimmy and I have my flashers fuses in the fuse block under the hood in front of the brake booster. That shoul dbe a easy fix I hear the noise on the passenger side but all my flasher fuses are under the hood.

Truckchevy4
Got a 97 myself, flasher is located below the radio dead center. It's a bugger to get at cause you have to remove a bunch of screws and bolts holding the lower cowling. After you get everything loose you have to pry the cowling down abit to be able to get your hands in there to pull out the flashers which are two of them. One for turn signals and one for flasher, and they do work independently of each other. Flashers work when turn won't and visa virsa.
You won't be able to see the flashers while looking under the cowling from the center counsel area but believe me they're there. It's going to take a good hour to fix too.

Glorybound
Figured it out after finding the flashers on my friend's Jimmy.

First you have to remove the black plastic piece over the lower air vents below the dash. Then you have to take out the ashtray, if equipped. There should be a few bolts on the front of the lower gray plastic piece (housing the cig lighter) as well as on the bottom of it. Once it's loose, pull it back a bit and with your eyes about level with the top of the plastic piece, you should see the flashers.

They are a pain to get at, but if you twist your arms around a bit you can get at them.

They are both Buss 552 units, and I would suggest getting two (in case you may need to replace both, otherwise you'll have an extra for another time.) I believe the 4-ways are the left flasher, and the turn signals are the right.

Buickgnx87