K1500 5.7 113000 MILESG

1997 GMC C1500

1997 GMC K1500 5.7 L 113000 Miles. When I first start my truck, it makes a loud ticking sound. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the rear of the block, possibly from under the valve cover or back by the distributor. There is a slight loss of power until the truck has run for a few minutes and warms up, then the tick gets quieter until it's unaudible. Sound like a common problem, or is there something I can check to figure out where the problem is?
Bass_3hm

Kinda sounds like you have a hydrualic lifter wearing out on you. As it starts out ticking then goes away after a few minutes it's being slow to fill with oil and may not be opening valve completely like it should at the beginning. Lifters themselves are not real costly but getting to them is the pain. Dist. And intake and such have to come off to get to them. Good luck?

Burrbrian
On chevy pickups at cold start it is common for them to do this. Most of the time it is piston slap and does not harm much. Both mine have been doing it for almost 100k and have 157 & 182k on them now. Using mobile one and allowing it to warm up for several minutes can help out alot. It is really important to do this in colder weather

Chevy trucks