CAM GEAR TIMING

1994 Geo Metro

1994 Geo Metro

I have a 1994 Geo Metro 1.0 This is a 3 cylinder engine. This car broke a timing belt before I got it and someone else has had the cam gear out. We are trying to time the car and would like to know the correct position of the cam gear. There are 2 timing marks 60A and 80A. Wich one is the correct one to use? The car runs but lacks power.
Marie Johnson

Check that the timing mark on the camshaft timing pulley is aligned with the V mark on the cylinder head cover. If not align the 2 marks by turning the camshaft by be careful not to turn it more than the allowable range.
Check that the punch mark on the crankshaft timing belt pulley is aligned with the arrow mark on the oil pump case. If not align the 2 marks by turning the camshaft by be careful not to turn it more than the allowable range.
With the 4 marks aligned, install the timing belt on the 2 pulleys in such a way that the arrow marks on the belt (if so equipped) coincide with the rotating direction of the crankshaft. In this state the No. 1 piston is at top dead center of its compression stroke.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_137.jpg

Bluelightnin6