WON'T START

1992 Geo Metro

1992 Geo Metro 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 225000 miles

i was coasting down large hill heard a small back fire and smelt gas. Engine died and refused to start. All fluids are great even took off destrib cap off no scorching cleaned points tryed to prime the carb gas didn't work im getting confusing advice some say its a spark issue and some say its a gas issue like a bad fuel pump. Is my fuel pump in the gas tank? Help me please id like to fix this prob on my own
thanks sharon leslie
Sharon leslie

Did the check engine light came on before it died?

The fuel pump is in the fuel tank-To determine if its fuel or spark issue do below

Disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it