CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Ford Windstar

I have 1995 Ford windstar, 3.8l 6v SFI
170K miles.
My catalytic converter is plugged and needs to be replaced. I live in rural California.
Dealer and mechanics wants close to $2000 for new converter. Because I live in CA. Eastern models are $302-358

What is the difference in CA/vs/ rest of the world converters? Can I just buy one that will fit my van - even if is not " California model" ? Where I live we are not required to do smog checks at all
(only when changing ownership)

My van is old and I do not see spending additional $2000 but would like to fix it to use 2-3 more months before I can buy new car.

Here is info I found on www. Partstrain. Com

#4551
Catalytic Converter Catco $302.95

Vehicle:
1995 Ford Windstar

Fits Engine – Chassis:
3.8L, 6 Cylinder — Windstar

Description:
Direct Fit, Original Replacement Catalytic Converter, Complete, Stainless Steel Piping

Fit Note:
Except California Models

IF I BUY THIS WOULD IT FIT MY VAN?

Please help with suggestion.
Vera Hamann
Hamcienda

No you will be better off getting a universal converter for the van and cutting the pipes to the right length. California model exhaust converters are ususally longer than the rest. Universal is way cheaper and all you'll need is a sawzall with metal blade!

Merlin2021