CRANKS BUT WON'T START

2001 Ford Windstar

2001 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

I drive a 2001 Winstar Van sometimes not always when I go to start it it cranks but doesn't turn over and sort of sputers when you start it for instance I drive it for say an hour works fine started right up and then if I was to stop and shut it off and go back out right away it would crank like it was gonna start but it wonts turn over. Then if I waited an hour or two it would start right up can you tell me what the problem is?
BLUNDELL

To determine what's causing it try performing below might lead you somewhere, whether its fuel or spark problem

Disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 in away from ground have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it