2000WINDSTAR BLEND DOOR MOTOR

2000 Ford Windstar

Heater problem
2000 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Had the van at the mechanic to find the problem. After an hour they said the fuse is fine but there is no power going to the blend door. They said it could be the blend door motor or the blend door itself and that they couldn't go any further that day, could I please bring it back next week.

Is there any way I can check this myself. I know where the motor is and how to get to it I just need to know how to tell if its the motor or the door.

Please help there calling for -26C.
Thank you
Cristina

if your engine temp is normal
thermostat and all tested ok
its a common problem the blend door motor
behind right side of dash

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_wind_blend_door_1.jpg

BMRFIXIT
Thank you very much for your quick response. Is there any way that you can also tell me where to find the blend door so that I can make sure that it is not broken as well. Since everything else seems to be falling apart with the heater.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Cristina
Check the wiring diagram up
right side of dash
some have it almost behind the radio and ashtray
it has a square plug wires

BMRFIXIT
The ford mechanic got back in there today and says it's not the actuator. The blend door is broken. Apperantly the part of the actuator that sticks out and goes into a hole in the pendulum is the problem. Something (can't remember name) inside that hole is what is broken. They say they need to remove to whole dash to get to it. How hard is it to do this myself because they're quoting 600 for labor and 600 for the part?

Cristina
Bit high for me get another quote
get another opinion too

BMRFIXIT
I'm in a small town in Ontario. My regular mechanic won't go anywhere near this problem because he says the last time he tried to fix this problem on a ford it took him 16hours. At least he's honest, but I'm not sure where else to look, part stores keep telling me I need to get this part directly from ford and there labour is $84/hour. Do you have any suggestion?

Cristina
Ask him if he can move the door for u
so you can get heat for know
+
get a phone book call around
i can see his point not a job I like to do my self

BMRFIXIT
They were going to try that but they said the way it was broken it wouldn't work. They said the door was broken inwards and that they couldn't prop it shut. Do you think they'r scamming me.

Cristina
Try to get a different opinion
if they want to help they could
are you sure the door is stuck and its not the motor thats no good !

If door get stuck it will strip the gears in the actuator

BMRFIXIT
Look up blend door motor and nail fix. You can put a nail through the end of it to get it to grab and open and close the door. I thought I had the same problem, but it was just the blend door motor. There are several how to's with picures out there.

04bolt
Page 1 of 2