SPEEDOMETER

1994 Ford Truck

1994 Ford Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 130.00 miles

I have a F Super duty truck 7.3 turbo diesel the speedometer stopped working and odometer doesn't show any display it is analog speedometer and digital odometer all the rest of the instruments work what should I look for is it on a separate fuse? I keep getting mixed answers if it has a cable or sensor I thought it was that at first but then I noticed the odometer display isn't showing any numbers at all but the rest of the gauges are working
Terry P

Ok first off there is no cable to the speedo. It uses the ABS sensor on the top of the diff to send a signal to the cruise unit (if equiped) and then to the speedo. Here is a pic of the sensor on the top of the diff. If you have a digital multi meter we can run a couple of tests and check it first. Let me know what you want to do.

Sensor

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_551041_1.jpg

Racefan966
Yes I have a multimeter what would you like me to try?

Terry P
Ok I also need to know if you have cruise control or not as this changes the tests and where we start. Thanks.

Racefan966
I do not have cruise control and another note nothing at all is on the odometer display no zeros all other gauges are working so there is power going to the the instrument panel

Terry P
Ok first lets make sure that the signal is being sent for the module to read ok. I need you to unplug the speed sensor on the top of the diff. Then with your meter ohm across the terminals on the sensor, should read 190 to 250 ohms if not then sensor is bad. Let me know what you find and we will go through the wiring from there to the cluster ok.

Racefan966