ALTERNATOR

1976 Ford Torino

1976 Ford Torino

1976 Ford Torino V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

76 ford torino

it is burning up alternators. Initially seems to work intermittenly then completely burns up

My question is this: could it be a result of not having a dash instrument cluster connected (because no indicator light connected) if so, is there any way to fix it without the instrument cluster? (Mine is pretty much destroyed) I bought a replacement cluster, but it was a little different and the wiring apparently is not the same. Since most of the gauges do not work when I connect it

if not the gauge cluster. Do you have any other ideas?

thank you for your help

chandler coleman
Dccoleman5

How many altinators have you replaced? There could be a short in the wiring by the altinator. Check the wires. I am not much in computers but disconnect the battery and leave it off for a minute then reconnect it. When you watch to see if it has a big spark. That will mean something is sdraining the battery. As far as I know you can drive without a instrument cluster. I have a feeling that there is a short somewhere. Check the wires to see if any get hot. If so inspect them to see if you can find the source.

M_H_RITZEL
I have replaced 3 or 4. But I read in a couple of different places that even if the indicator light bulb in the dash is blown that the alternator will not work properly. It seems to work at idle but not when rpms reach a certain point

Dccoleman5
So the altinator does work but just at low speeds. Check the tension on the belt to make sure the idler pulley is keeping it tight enough.

M_H_RITZEL