WANTS REVERSE WHEN IN PARK

1972 Ford Torino

1972 Ford Torino V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 8000 miles

I just bought a 72 Gran Torino and went to drive it, did not know parking break was on. (Never use mine) I'm doing a full restore so I guess thats one more thing to fix in the process now. Oops! But I parked it after I drove it, went to start it again later and noticed that if it is in PARK, and I have the accelerator slightly depressed, the car wants to go in reverse. It needs a new carb as it is hard to start and am in the process of getting that replaced, but not sure what the problem is here. Very strange. I'm not sure if I somehow stripped a device in the steering column or if its a transmission problem. I put 91 octane gas in there and it seems to be running a bit worse than 87. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Soccaman015

In that time period, ford had a problem with cars going into reverse while in park. I think it was an adjustment to the trans shift rod. I'm not really sure as t was a very long time ago. It may be and adjust ment outside the trans, like I said it was avery long time ago and don't remember. If this has the EGR valve behind the carb, the aluminum housing that it mounted to would eat away and leave a vacuum leak. You would have to pull the carb off then the plate and look at it as it's on the bottom. I beleiv it was replaced by a steel one. Trying to find one now would be almost impossible unless a junkyard had one. I would imagine you could always get it welded back up. You may not need another carb if the plate is bad.

Ok thanks. Ya I want to go take the carb off but its been super cold out lately so I am going to wait until this snow stops. : (

Soccaman015