ALTERNATOR CHARGING (?) OUTPUT LOW

1971 Ford Torino

1971 Ford Torino V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 46,000 miles

We have a 71 Ford Torino with a stock 302. When the car is under any kind of load (lights, stereo, blower), there is a noticeable miss and sputter under acceleration and cruise. The Alternator was just tested at my sons school and found to be putting out only 20 Amps (it shows "60 A" on the case of the Alternator).
Would this a reason for the poor performance? Oh - we also have a Pertronix Ignition with a Flame Thrower Coil.
Also - what would happen if we put a 100 amp alternator in it?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/417851_302_cui_of_Ford_Power_1.jpg

ANY help is most appreciated.
TorinoDriver

Those alternators would get bad due to the diode bridge shorting out. It should put out 60 amp. This could cause your problem especially with ellectronic ignition, Also with the ford models, the breaker plate in the distributor would wear the pin and the vacuum advance as wel as the pin on the plate itself that makes it move especially under acceleration. If memeory serves me right, that car still has a voltage regulator on it as well so putting a 100 amp alternator wouldn't help that much as it's probably got it's own regulator inside it. Besides those were more for rear window defoggers and heavier loads like that.