HELP! SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT IS ON

1997 Ford Thunderbird

1997 Ford Thunderbird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 71,000 miles

Hey guys, just purchased this 97 t-bird for my daughter to drive back / forth to school. Soon as it starts, the servic e engine light comes on, then after 20sec it begins to flash, then after a period stays on (quits flashing) then the cycle repeats. I took the car to autozone to get the code read. Code says, cylinder #2 misfired. No other codes found. Car is running really rough, In my old V8's one cylinder mis-firing wouldn't cause a V* to run so rough. Anyway, at highway speed its not as noticable, but at idle its rough. I know very little about these t-birds and what common problems they might have. Best guess, am I looking at a fuel injector, plug / plug wire, or something else. The engine idles rough at about 600 RPMs. I don't believe cylinder #2. Is firing at all. Best guess, on how I should preceed? Thanks guys
Mach2race

Hi I saw your question and had this issue last year with my 1997 ford tbird with a 4.6 v8. I had 2 cylinders missing and it would make the car kick stall and run just plain bad. Its a simple fix toss in new set of plugs and wires and it will be corrected. The flashing light means active cylinder miss and your supposed to stop right away to avoid damage. A quick plug and wire change will get you back and going quick. Just thought Id share as I know answers here take a long time as I am on 2 years waiting for my question I had asked. Good liuck

FilthyFletch