A/C NOT WORKING

1989 Ford Thunderbird

Air Conditioning problem
1989 Ford Thunderbird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

My air condition stopped working from one day to the next. I never noticed a slow loss of cooling, it just stopped working. I checked under the hood and when I run the engine and turn on the a/c, I can hear a clicking noise (coming from the accumulator area) that sounds like coming from a relay. The compressor does not come on. Could it be just missing freon or an electric problem?
LaCienega

Have the pressures tested first. Then ifit doesnt work, need to get a test light and start checking for power, start at the compressor

Jack42
So I guess I have to take it to a dealer then? I was trying to avoid that cause I'm on a low budget right now. I was thinking to get a can R12 from ebay and just add it, or get the cheaper Freeze 12 (I just don't like the fact that my R12 would be contaminated if it gets recovered one day)
Would I be able to add the R12 without the compressor running? I heard the compressor shuts down automatically when low on Freon oil, maybe that's why it is not running.

LaCienega
That is why I suggestd you chck th epressures first. See if you can finda shop that specializes in A/C, you dont have to go to the dealer

Jack42
I went to 2 a/c shops today, the first one doesn't work on old systems any more and the other shop wants to have $160.00 for a leak check and top off with Freon(that's when there is no leak or only minor...if more work required...of course a lot more $$) I guess I will just buy some 'freeze 12' and top off myself, I don't want to spend more $ on this car than what it is worth if I would sell it. Do you know from the photo on which valve I have to refill?
Thanks for your help

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/157341_valve_1.jpg

LaCienega
That looks like the low side which is where you charge at

Jack42