RADIO INSTALLATION

1963 Ford Thunderbird

1963 Ford Thunderbird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

" I am attempting to install a Custom Autosound Radio in my 63 T-bird. The original setup only had two wires from the old AM radio and the speaker wires. A black wire and a blue wire. The black wire from the old radio connected to a black wire in the wiring harness. The blue wire from the old radio connected to a blue wire in the wiring harness. If I put a test light on the black wire of the wiring harness it will light up if the ignition is on. If I put a test light on the blue wire of the wiring harness I do not get any response whether the ignition is on or off. I did connect the wire from the new radio that was labeled ignition to the black wire of the wiring harness. I connected wire that was labeled battery from the new radio to the blue wire of the wiring harness. I took the ground wire from the new radio and put it to a suitable ground. I don't get any power at all with this connection although I did find out if you accidently touch the ground wire against the black wire from the wiring harness it does blow the radio fuse. IIf you have any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom
63TBIRD

Check the blue wire for continuity to ground. Sounds like black is ign hot, key on. Might have to run another wire to act as 12 volts all the time for stereo memory.

Jack42
Thanks for your reply to my question. But that leaves me with another question what is the purpose of the blue wire and can I just bypass it and find another source for battery power to the new radio?

Thanks,
Thomas

63TBIRD
You can run all your own wires for the stereo, just remember if you go straight to the battery that the stereo stays on with the key off

Jack42