R&R CRANK PULLEY & HARMONIC BALANCER

Ford Tempo

I have a 1994, Ford, Tempo, 2.3L, automatic, with 113K miles. Can you replace the crank pulley and harmonic balancer without pulling the engine? There is less than an 1" of clearance between the pulley and fender well.

Tx,
Jerry Johnson
Jerryo

Unless it has a plastic shield that can be removed, Probably.

Merlin2021
There is no access panel in the fender well to remove. Can't cut an access hole due to structural support that's incorperated into the fender well infront of the pulley.

Chilton manual said the motor had to be pulled to R& R the timing chain housing, but didn't address replacing the crank pulley. So, I don't know for sure and I am wondering if an expieranced mechanic knows a short cut instead of pulling the motor.

You can get a wrench on the pulley bolt, but I didn't have enough leverage to break it lose. Would the threats be reversed?

Jerryo
Soetimes you can put a good jack under the engine, remove the mounts, and lower the engine enough.
Sometimes you'll still need to bend the inner fender, even after it's lowered. Hope this helps!

Merlin2021