88 POOR PERFORMANCE

1988 Ford Tempo

88 Tempo, 62k miles. Tuned up, all filters changed new oil, flushed coolant system, fuel additive used, replaced serpentine and alternater belts. Tested alternater, it is good.

Car was a grandma's, very nice, started and ran smooth for first 200 miles I owned.

Vehicle ran poorly one evening so I parked it in the barn, would not start next day. Ended up starting with either. Not a cold day.

Check engine and amp light appears while attempting start but go off once engine is started. Engine operates well in park and nuetral, once in gear, engine hesitates and acceleration is extremely slow. Engine acts like it wants to " flood out" at 45 to 50 miles per hour. I replace the ignition coil. No change.

Friend suggested catalytic converter may be clogged from sitting a long time. I drilled a quarter inch hole at converter. No help.

Please assist! Thanks!
Christopher Johnson

If you can get it running again, check the converter by attaching a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold, leave it running for 5 mins and watch the gauge does it drop? If yes the exhaust is restricted, What you need to figure out if whats missing when it wont start, spark, gas or compression, if you can, test these too! Fords are known for bad TFI modules. Ignition module!

Merlin2021