PLUGS WIRES CAP RODER FUELFILTER

1994 Ford Tempo

1994 Ford Tempo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi I have a 1994 ford tempo with 84000miles. The car has been sitting for 10 tears in the garage, every thing is pretty much stock from when it came off the assembly line, not kiding I change the spark plugs cap and rotor button wires and fuel filter the car stalls when stopping when I accelerate it bawgs out. Before I did the tune up this was not a problem why is it a problem now. Some one told me it could be a EGR valve or the mass are flow sensor do you think this could happen after a basic tuneup also the check engine light gos off when it acts up please can you help me. Thanks lorenzomoore
Moorelamar

When you say " goes off" do you mean lights up/comes on? If so, get a code read!

Fixitmr
Before I did the tuneup the was just fine I figured Id do a tuneup because I notised it shakes alittle so I did so with the wires plugs cap and rotorbutton. Shotrly after that it stalled at a trafic light so I thought it coul be the fuel filter so I replaced it still the problem still exist. Now to answer your question the check engine light stayd on before the tuneup but has not went off, now when accelerating after sitting at alight it wants to hesitate and bawgsout then the check engine light shuts off but after 30mph and up its fine what could be the problem

Moorelamar
So the shake is gone? But sounds like it's running too lean. Does it have a map sensor? Check all vacuum hoses for leaks/cracks also. Did you have car parked for 10 yrs or did you buy it that way?

Fixitmr
I got the car from my dad he only drove it for 3 months but before it was his the car sat in a garage for ten years the car is damner new the person that owned the car( 62 years old) didnt like driving so she put it in the garage and never touched it. I have checked all the vacuum lines and they look new, I also took the mass air flow sensor off to see if it would make a diference and it ran the same. How do I know if its the EGR valve, every thing looks brand new on the car. Could it be the cilidic converter I was thinking about cutting it off would that make a diff.

Moorelamar
If the car is so new looking then I dont know why the catylitic converter would be bad/plugged. It could be an oxygen sensor? Why not get the CODE light diagnosed before you try anything drastic. Take your plugs back out and check the tip color. Should be brownish tan. If whitish it is running too lean.

Fixitmr
First of all Id like to say that you guys are awsome and I greatly appreciate the help I love this site and will use it to the fullest! Okay I took the car to the shop and put the car on a OBD2 I think thats what it was (scanner) and the first problem it read was CODE#157 Mass Air Flow sensor and it said it was below minum voltage?What ever that might be.
Second problem CODE#998 HardFaultPresent FMEM engaged?What ever that might be. And the other problem we thought was the O2 sensor which says there is no reading for this as in they could not findout if it worked or not. Now I talked to my dad and he said he put a new one on it not to long ago. What should I do buy the M A F S only or get both?

Moorelamar
Did you check the spark plug colors? Another thing is that when a car sits that long the connectors can get green with corrosion I bought a tempo that had sat for a yr or 2 and I had several of the electrical connectors under the hood go faulty and it was corrosion. The car actually ran good for a week or so before this showed up. Your codes indicate that a sensor malfunction has caused the computer to go into what's called " limp mode" (FMEM) to allow the car to run well enough to get to where you need to go(shop?). At this point it could be wiring/corrosion at connector/or bad sensor? Worse case is a bad computer itself?(Not likely)why did your dad replace OX sensor?Did he get a code read? I beleive your MAF sensor has the greatest impact on drivability? I'm not an expert on this as I have never owned a tempo with a MAF. I know you can clean them. Do a google search on how to clean MAF. You can also do a search of this forum for each of your code problems. And try google for them as well. When you do get it fixed, be sure and post the answer!

Fixitmr