STALLING WHEN STOPPING

1992 Ford Tempo

1992 Ford Tempo Automatic 160, 00 miles

I just bought this 1992 Ford Tempo and was sure to get everything checked before I actually made the purchase. I was told that for the age of the car it ran amazingly well and that mechanically there was nothing wrong. I was told the same thing when I went to get the oil changed and the car smogged. This has been in the last couple of months.
This past week the car started to feel like it wanted to die every time I slowed down or came to a stop. It actually has just shut off at least three times. It starts right back up but will also surge a little when I initially push on the gas. I'm really worried that it's a sign of a major problem, which I just can't afford right now.
Ajsteele

Tempos are notorious for IAC problems.(Idle air control) it's an electric valve on the backside of throttle intake by firerwall. The plug is underneath. A little hard to get at. The unit can be removed and cleaned if it is dirty/sooty looking. The soot is usually seen around edges where it mounts. Coming out from gasket. Check elec connector plug for corrosion. I think new 1's are around $60. But first check all vacuum hoses for cracks//breaks/bad ends. You can google for how to clean it or search this forum also.

Fixitmr