SERPENTINE

1990 Ford Tempo

1990 Ford Tempo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

hello, I have a 1990 ford tempo gl and I am currently replacing the power steering pump. It tells me to remove the serpentine drive belt but then it says I need a special tool to release the tensioner. And on top of that I cant even find where I am supposed to release it at. If you could please help I would greatly appreciate it thanx justin alderman
Justinalderman

Fig. 15 Serpentine Drive Belt Routing

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_belt_8.jpg

Removal

Loosen adjustment, pivot and idler pulley bolts on accessories which need belts replaced.
Remove old belts.
Installation

Install new belts over pulleys. For V-ribbed belts, ensure that all V-grooves make proper contact with pulley.
Adjust belt tension.

Per the picture above the automatic tensioner looks like it pushes down on belt to tighten. There is usually a hole in the arm for a breaker bar to insert so you can pull up on it. You can also use a ratchet wrench as they have the same connecting stud. If no hole is present then you can sometimes use the bolt head on the wheel to put a wrench on and lift. The assembly itself is a spring loaded swing arm with a wheel on the belt end.

Fixitmr