ENGINE LIGHT

2002 Ford Taurus

2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

Hi there. The engine light on my '02 Taurus came on, and it remains on while flashing every so often for 5 seconds or so, usually between 40-60 mph. Never flashes when I am on the interstate. When it does flash, the car loses power, and feels like it is choking. When the light stops flashing, everything is normal again. Scanner indicated cylinder 2 & 3 misfire. Replaced spark plug wires, spark plug coil, Oxygen sensor, had the fuel system tested, ruled out cylinder issue; pretty much exhausting the mechanic. What has been missed? Please help! Thanks!
Duchess417

We need to check the engine for compression. It needs spark, compression, fuel pressure and injector pulse to fire. Check and get back to us

Mastertechtim
Check 2/3 cylinders compression and injector.

According to the mechanic, the compression, etc has been checked and there are no issues.

Duchess417
A misfire in a specific cylinder should lead you to check the spark plug, fuel injector and compression.

Misfires can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.

If a misfire in a specific cylinder should lead you to check the spark plug, fuel injector and compression.

Just talked to the mechanic. Spark plugs are fine. Spark plug coil and spark plug wires are brand new. Compression is normal in cylinders 2 & 3, there are no vacuum leaks, fuel injectors are clean, fuel pressure is normal, EGR valve fine, fuel fine. This is driving me crazy. Could it be the computer?

Duchess417
Injector pulse? He is missing something.

Mastertechtim