- 1ST CYLINDER MISFIRE

2002 Ford Taurus

2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 167000 miles

Hi there, I have am 02 Ford Taurus with 167000 miles. It has been wrecked in the front end before, but no obvious engine damage occured. It just required some frame pulling and such. Anyway, I have put new spark plugs and filters in it recently, and it had still had problems misfiring a bit on startup. My mechanic said his guess was due to the fact that it had been sitting with gas in it for over a year before I started driving it. It went away, but now the engine light has come on, and it seems stall out a little at speeds of 40 or 50 mph. I can power through them though. I took it in and had diagnostics run, and he said there was a misfire in the 1st cylinder. He recommended since I had changed the plugs, and the wires were original to change the wires. I am having this done, but if it's not the case can anyone point me in the right direction based on my car's symptions (coil, fuel injector, or whatever).

Any help is appreciated!
Kinkadink

P0301 indicates misfire at no.1 cylinder-check the sparkplug, compression and injector for this cyl.

Misfires can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.

I have a 2002 Taurus with the 24-valve Duratec engine. I had the same problem on cylinder #3 at 72,000 miles. Rasmatax is correct that the misfire can be caused by numerous problems. My problem was the ignition coil. I changed the plugs and plug wires which helped but did not cure the misfire. Next I replaced the ignition coil and this solved the misfire condition.

Chief63