NOISE FROM THE LEFT FRONT WHEEL, WHILE TUR

2001 Ford Taurus

Suspension problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 66000 miles

Hi,

I just returned from a 450 miles trip over the weekend, and now noticed some sound when turning the steering towards left.
There is no noise when I turn it towards right.

Sound is like rubbing the fingers on a baloon, and it seems to be coming from the drivers side front wheel.

I can hear it from the drivers seat, with the window open, in the parking lot.

Something happened all of a sudden, as the sound was not there 2 days back.

Any clue, what should be causing this?

1. Ball Joints?
2. Bearing
3. Axle

Abi
Ab_sood

It could be many things. First check to see it the tire is rubbing anything. If you look at the back of the tire, it may have a shiny spot on it if it is rubbing. As far as the things you mentioned, the only one I would consider would be a wheel bearing, but they usually make noise all of the time. Let me know if what you find. Also, make sure the brakes are ok and not worn. A sensor will make a squealing sound.

I got it checked from a Mechanic, he told me that the sound is coming from " seat-bearing of strut". So, the " Strut Mount" needs to be fixed.

He suggested me to change the Struts and Stabalizer links at $630.

The bull just have 66K miles.

How urgent is this repair, what if I dont do it for another year?
Can I live with it?

He told me that it will get louder with time, and it will cause the un-even tire wear, is that true?

The alignment is right, and the car goes straight.

It all started after I hit a pot-hole.

Ab_sood
I don't know how bad it is, but if it isn't too bad, you should be able to wait for some time. Like he said, it will get worse with time. It shouldn't cause tire wear. As far as the struts and stabalizer links, was the car bouncing too much in the front or did you hear a ratteling sound? If not, I would only replace the strut bearing plate.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks Joe!!

Here is the picture of the strut bearing, I got from Midas mechanic.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/323340_untitled_3.jpg

The car is running absolutely normal, and is no bouncing, no rattling sound.

The only sound I hear is while turning the steering wheel towards left. That too only in the parking lot, as the sound is too low to hear on the road.

If I dont fix it, what harm can it do, apart from making some noise.
Should I just ignore it, as its not affecting the driving.

The estimate I got for only repairing the bearing plate is $310.

Ab_sood