HOW TO FIX MIL CODE P0401

2001 Ford Taurus

Computer problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 73800 miles

My MIL light came on so I scaned the engine and the MIL code was P0401. Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected. Does this mean I need to replace the EGR valve?
Coldwater

Check/clean/replace DPFEGR sensor

Perform this test when instructed by QUICK TEST. This test is only intended to diagnose:
Differential Pressure Feedback (DPF) EGR Sensor
Faulty EGR Valve
EGR Vacuum Regulator (VR) Solenoid
Orifice Tube Assembly. See Fig. 75.
DPFEGR Sensor Pressure Hoses
Vacuum Lines
Wiring Harness Circuits (DPFEGR, EVR, EVR PWR, SIG, SIG RTN & VREF)
Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Fig. 75: Identifying DPFEGR System Components
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_dpf_1.jpg

Dave H
Don't mean to butt in but it's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the DPFE sensor. Remove it and take the 2 hoses off. Tap it on a dry surface where the 2 hoses attach. If ANY MOISTURE whatsoever comes out, replace it. Replace the two hoses if you can find them. I replace them ALL THE TIME on Fords.

Jasonray
Dave you were right on about the DPFEGR sensor. I replaced it and cleared the MIL code. After driving all day the light never came back on. Rescaned the engine and the system monitors checked off the EGR. I would recommend this site to anyone. Saved me a lot of money. Thanks. Hello Jasonray. You can jump in anythime with good advice.

Coldwater