IDLING PROBLEM

2000 Ford Taurus

2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 79000 miles

I'm experiencing a strange issue with my car -- I'd appreciate any pointers.

The car only starts when I give it some gas. After starting, while the car is still in PARK, I need to continue giving it gas to keep it running. Otherwise the RPMs drop rapidly and the engine gets rough and immediately dies.

However, when I shift into either DRIVE or REVERSE, everything is fine, and the car idles nicely at 650 RPM, as it should, for as long as I want it to.

Also, this occurs only in cold weather, with the engine cold. In warm weather, or once the engine is warm, it starts up fine and idles fine in any gear (including PARK).

Weird, eh? Again, any pointers would be appreciated, as I have no idea what could be causing this. I'll probably take it in to have it fixed, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Volatilis

Do you have check engine light on if so need to have it scanned for codes

Very common for the IAC valve to be the problem
remove and clean or replace
check for any vacuum leaks

BMRFIXIT
No, the check engine light is unfortunately not on.

Do you have any insight into why the issue is only happening in PARK, but idling fine in DRIVE/REVERSE?

Thanks -- I appreciate the help!

Volatilis
Seen it a lot where the IAC valve is the cause of stalling or no start on a cold start
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 03-3-5, Date of Issue: February 17, 2003
FORD: 2000-2003 Taurus; 2002 Thunderbird; 2000-2003 Explorer, Ranger; 2001-2003 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer Sport
LINCOLN: 2000-2002 LS
MERCURY: 2000-2003 Sable, Mountaineer

Related Ref Number(s): 03-3-5
ARTICLE BEGINNING
DESCRIPTION
DRIVEABILITY - IDLE AIR CONTROL (IAC) VALVE DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE TIPS
ISSUE
Some vehicles, may exhibit driveability conditions. These may include: No start
Difficult to start
Stall
Low idle
Rough idle
High idle
Hesitation/surge while accelerating or at steady speed
These conditions may be intermittent with no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) and no Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). In some cases DTC and MIL may be evident.
ACTION
Trouble cannot be identified with 95% of returned Idle Air Control (IAC) valves. The following procedure is supplemental information to normal diagnostics to facilitate accurate identification of malfunctioning valves. These symptoms would include engine stall, hard start, crank/no start, idling problems

BMRFIXIT