FUEL ECONOMY

1999 Ford Taurus

Engine problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

I have a 1999 Taurus with a 3.0. Fuel mileage has never been great I am not sure what it was exactly. About 200 miles to the tank, maybe 16-17 mpg. But, last week that seems like it was cut in half, with no excess driving. My normal route to work and home. I don't drive anywhere else. I am baffled, and before I go replacing things that don't fix the problem I thought I would ask you your professional opinion. Thanks
Matt
Lamerem

What's the weather where you are? Any check engine light?

TaurusWheel
It is in the teens as far as the weather is concerned. However, it has been like this all winter and my mileage has been fine. Another thing that I noticed lately is after the car sits idle for about 5-10 minutes after start up, when I put it into drive it chugs, like it wants to die. When this happens if I put in neutral and give it some gas it goes away. This only happens occasionally, once a week I would say. I have no check engine light, though that doesn't mean much. I couldn't tell you how many times through out the years that something should have flagged the light, but didn't. I have replaced tie rod ends and ball joints, along with tires and a new alignment about 2 months ago. Did the brakes at that time to, I have checked for dragging brakes, and came up with nothing. Wish it was that simple. No change in fuel type. People have mentioned DPFE sensor, and MAF sensor, injectors, fuel pressure, etc. I really can't smell any raw fuel. How do I check fuel pressure? Can I check DPFE or MAF, or is that a buy and try. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Lamerem